The Merchant of Venice
About the Book
The Merchant of Venice is one of Shakespeare's most popular dramas. Although generally considered a comedy, it has an underlying plot of considerable moral dimension.
The three main characters, Antonio, the prosperous merchant; Shylock, the reviled usurer; and the heiress, Portia are portrayed in ways so untypical to Elizabethan norms that the play impresses the modern reader with its extraordinary relevance.
The Unique Publisher's bestselling edition of The Merchant of Venice is a must-read book for all students pursuing English literature degree programmes at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels and has the following features:
- Original text of the play with paraphrase and annotations
- Lucid explanation of important passages
- Chapter-wise detailed summary of the play
- Detailed critical appraisal of characters
- Discussion on important textual aspects
- Important university questions with answers
- Selected literary criticism